Saturday, February 2, 2013

Playing Hooky

I haven't been able to write as many blog posts as I would like lately. Here's why.

REASON # 1
In the next few weeks, a local museum is applying for a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities. I'm writing the grant. So one or two days a week, when I write, I'm using a lot of technical jargon and numbers. You do NOT want me to post this grant and have you read it. Trust me.

REASON # 2
My dog ate the post.

REASON # 3
Two days a week, I'm volunteering in Plimoth Plantation's archives, learning the ins and outs of data and collections management and hearing all of the juicy library gossip. Oh, the gossip. It's like Downtown Abbey without all of the servants.

REASON # 4
My dog ate the reason.

REASON # 5
I want to apply for a research fellowship to do research and... I dunno, get paid for it or something. The deadline's in May. I know that this is 3 months away, but what with the dog eating everything in sight I figure that I should give myself some time for a few false starts.

REASON # 6
3. Job. Contacts. Per week. Massachusetts Unemployment is a cruel, hard mistress.

REASON # 7
Meagan Baco has very kindly invited me to write a few blog posts for HistPres.com. If I screw up a post on Blogger, I have the power to take it down and delete your taunting comments. If I screw up on HistPres... well, I don't want to screw up on HistPres. So I'm taking my time writing this one.

Fellowship research for the rest of the day; hopefully I can get back to posting regularly in the next few days.

*     *     *     *     *

Do you have a convenient excuse that I didn't think of? Well, don't post it just yet... the dog is watching. Give it ten minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I know you prefer writing about how Oldy McDeadperson and the Battle of Somethingorother, but I can hear your voice the strongest when you rant a bit and these posts are my favorites.
    Love,
    Lady MacBeth

    ReplyDelete